Articles on this Page
- 07/09/12--02:05: _Particle discovery ...
- 07/11/12--04:45: _Of fungi, coal and oil
- 07/13/12--03:19: _Breaking boundaries...
- 08/01/12--06:11: _Töölö Towers opens ...
- 08/16/12--06:19: _The university corr...
- 08/17/12--05:50: _University of Helsi...
- 08/21/12--06:02: _Protection demands ...
- 08/24/12--02:10: _Хельсинкский универ...
- 08/27/12--07:16: _The biggest challen...
- 09/02/12--23:28: _Kick your semester ...
- 09/03/12--04:54: _University of Helsi...
- 09/04/12--04:59: _On the Student's Terms
- 09/05/12--03:45: _The classroom will ...
- 09/06/12--01:47: _Turn your dreams in...
- 09/07/12--02:56: _ Revolution in math...
- 09/13/12--00:04: _The University of H...
- 09/14/12--01:23: _Russia as a welfare...
- 09/18/12--06:00: _Advisory board memb...
- 09/21/12--05:25: _Politics belong at ...
- 10/05/12--04:45: _Higher score, lower...
- 07/09/12--02:05: Particle discovery – is it really the Higgs?
- 07/11/12--04:45: Of fungi, coal and oil
- 07/13/12--03:19: Breaking boundaries for cancer research
- 08/01/12--06:11: Töölö Towers opens a new building
- 08/17/12--05:50: University of Helsinki moves up one place in world rankings
- 08/27/12--07:16: The biggest challenge for the local food sector is distribution
- 09/02/12--23:28: Kick your semester off at the opening carnival
- 09/03/12--04:54: University of Helsinki to launch Teachers’ Academy
- 09/04/12--04:59: On the Student's Terms
- 09/05/12--03:45: The classroom will not become an amusement park
- 09/06/12--01:47: Turn your dreams into music
- 09/07/12--02:56: Revolution in mathematics teaching
- 09/13/12--00:04: The University of Helsinki boosts its standing in rankings
- 09/14/12--01:23: Russia as a welfare state?
- 09/18/12--06:00: Advisory board member says Helsinki’s image needs enhancing
- 09/21/12--05:25: Politics belong at the university!
- 10/05/12--04:45: Higher score, lower ranking
Cern scientists working at the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) have discovered a new particle which is consistent with the long-sought Higgs boson. More investigations are, however, required before it can be confirmed that the particle truly is the Higgs.– The discovery is a major breakthrough in particle physics, says Professor Paula Eerola from the Department of Physics at the University of Helsinki.
The earth’s oil and coal reserves are remnants of ancient forests. The formation of coal beds stopped about 300 million years ago. A recent article published in Science magazine confirms that this was not only because of the climate, but also because of the evolution of fungi.
Teacher Chris Gruar, 25, is cycling from Great Britain to Australia to raise funds for cancer research. On Wednesday, July 11th, after his first 7.000 km, Gruar stopped over at the University of Helsinki's molecular cancer biology lab."Cancer has no boundaries. Fortunately, neither do we", runs the slogan of the AICR, the Scotland-based Association for International Cancer Research.
Co-owned by the University of Helsinki and Aalto University, Töölö Towers have been providing accommodation for international researchers and other guests since 2010. On Wednesday, August 1st, the University hotel opens a new building, now offering space for twice as many guests.
The University of Helsinki has today sent a correction request to several media which have spread false information about professor Teivo Teivainen. Articles containing serious errors have spread widely, especially in Russian web newspapers.The University of Helsinki has today sent a correction request to several media which have spread false information about professor Teivo Teivainen.
The University of Helsinki now shares the 73rd position in the Academic Ranking of World Universities (Shanghai list), published this week. The ranking was one place higher than last year.From a long-term perspective, Helsinki’s ranking can be considered rather stable.
The Baltic Sea is severely ill. Agriculture-induced eutrophication is considered its worst problem, and the Baltics limited exchange of water is making it worse. Baltic Rim states have been developing methods to improve the situation, but international cooperation is proving to be difficult.
Сегодня Хельсинкский университет направил просьбу об исправлении ошибочной информации в СМИ, опубликовавшие ложные сведения о деятельности профессора Тейво Тейвайнена.
"The demand for locally produced food is not a passing trend," believes University Lecturer Petri Ollila. But for local food to be sold more widely, supply and demand must be adequately balanced.People care more and more about what they put in their mouths. Many shun plastic-wrapped vegetables transported from the warehouses of major retail companies as well as intensively farmed meat.
Academic traditions, street sitsit party, martial arts demonstration, cheerful partying – the opening of the semester on Monday, 3 September, reflects the diversity of life at the University. The new semester 2012–2013 kicks off with a carnival that will close the streets in the vicinity of the main building and Porthania for the whole afternoon of Monday, 3 September, starting at 2 p.
The University of Helsinki is the first university in Finland to establish a teachers’ academy — a network of university teachers recognised for their merits in the development of teaching. The Academy will promote teaching and improve its standing in the academic community.
The University has an amazing, brand new main library. But not only that, the work practices of the library staff were rethought as well.The brand new Helsinki University Main Library in Kaisa House, has been designed to serve its users. The library was not designed to be a traditional book repository, but a facility that supports students, researchers and teachers in their work.
Future learning environments will combine various facilities and services, contact teaching and digital tools as well as online and mobile platforms for work and study.– The future classroom will not become an amusement park, despite the technological tools available. Technology is not used at school for entertainment but for education – to support teaching and learning, says Professor of Educational Psychology Kirsti Lonka.
Computer scientists have developed a method that automatically composes music out of sleep measurements. The composition service works live on the Web.Developed under Hannu Toivonen, Professor of Computer Science at the University of Helsinki, the software automatically composes synthetic music using data related to a person’s own sleep as input.
Apprenticeship teaching in mathematics offers a new way of learning.Video by Science Education Centre LumaFor a year now, the corridors of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics have been lined with blackboards which students and teachers crowd around. Groups of students are doing sums, sitting at tables covered with plastic sheets that you can write on.
The University of Helsinki placed 78th in the recent QS ranking of higher education, up eleven places from last year.The recently published QS World University Rankings evaluates universities along several criteria, including reputation among academics and employers as well as inputs into research, teaching and internationalisation.
Military threats do not take centre stage in the latest Russian national security strategy, reveals researcher, Anna-Liisa Heusala from the Aleksanteri Institute.VIDEO: Watch researchers from the Aleksanteri Institute list the greatest challenges facing Russia at the moment.
According to Sue Scott, professor of sociology at the Glasgow Caledonian University, the University of Helsinki has a problem with its image.”University of Helsinki is of a high standard and an excellent place for research. In particular, the quality of living is considerably high in Helsinki compared to many other university cities.
The aftermatch of the “Parade of Politics” baffled Jukka Gustafsson, Minister of Education.Timo Kontio of Social Democratic Students wishes Minister of Education Jukka Gustafsson welcome at the university. It is the university’s task to rear critical academic citizens, and political organisations must be allowed to act equally at the university.
The University of Helsinki ranks 109 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The University ranked 91 last year and 102 in 2010. The University’s ranking dropped this year although it received a higher score (56.4) than in 2011. “This means that we’re moving in the right direction, but others are moving faster,” says Markus Laitinen, the University’s Head of International Affairs.